Repost The New OD, Optometric Management March, 2015
In today’s evolving healthcare environment, it’s become vital to separate yourself and your parctice from the crowded landscape. Utilizing proven business models from the marketplace is a great place to start.
Consider the elite hotel brands across the globe whose mission has become impeccable customer service. …This high level of doing business can become your way of doing business if you follow these simple principles
- The Art of the Greeting – Ensure that your staff members greet patients by saying, “Welcome to (insert practice here). My name is (insert staff member’s name). How may I help you. Reminding patients where they’re receiving excellent patient care helps establish your brand.
- Dress for Success – From the front desk to the technician, and especially in the optical center, it’s important to have a uniform or dress code.
- The Attitude – You can’t train happy and nice and good social skills are hard to learn, too. Therefore, it’s imperative to begin with the end result in mind and hire for personality rather than job skills or experience – in certain positions.
- Be Our Guest – Develop a culture that promotes the patient as a guest. When you pass a patient in the hallway, say hello or offer a friendly smile and make sure your staff does the same.
- Classy Clinics – Closely monitor your physical space. Please your eyes where patients do by sitting in your waiting room, exam rooms and optical and notice everything.
- Don’t Tell the Patient, Show Them – When you are staying at a prestigious hotel, you’re taken there by a staff member. Your staff should do the same.
Providing 5-start service is a great way to build patient loyalty and increase referrals.